HOME OF THE LADY DENMAN - Local history isn't always about the big story - the everyday story of life in the early development of the region can be a fascinating, entertaining and educational journey.

3 February 2017

On this day - February 4 1890

The Schooner Hally Baily dismasted off Jervis Bay.

The schooner Hally Baily under the command of Captain Bezer was on a voyage between Rockhampton to Hobart carrying a cargo of 170 tons of bonedust.

The voyage south had so far been uneventful - Arriving off Sydney in the early evening a sudden heavy S.S.E gale sprang up, with a tremendous cross sea. Around midnight the Jib boom was carried away,  the foremast was next to go as the crew were below having breakfast, the foremast being snapped off about 25 ft from the deck.  Shortly after the main mast went by the board.  The vessel all this time was being continuously submerged by mountainous waves.

Hopes dashed a passing vessel failed to see distress signals.

Friday –
The Hally Baily was at the mercy of the seas and wind, the crew kept watch for a passing vessel,  the crew’s spirits were raised when they sighted a  vessel on Friday morning but the vessel failed to take notice of the distress signals, leaving the crew in an increasing state of dispair.

Saturday  - The German steamer G.M.S Bremem was sighted,  being attracted by distress signals bore down on the disabled schooner,  but after getting particulars proceeded on it's voyage without rendering any assistance at all.

The passing steamer S.S Lindus under the command of Captain Broughton saw a blue distress light and steamed towards the stricken vessel, recognising the dire circumstances the vessel was in they quickly prepared to take the schooner in tow.
A hawser (tow rope) was secured by coming along side with great difficulty,  this dangerous task had to be repeated four times during the tow as the hawser kept parting in the extreme conditions.

Hurricane conditions off Jervis Bay – Soon the vessels were battling hurricane conditions just off Jervis Bay, now the steamer Burrumbeet appeared and with great skill took over the tow, the Lindus continued her voyage to Melbourne.  The wind at this time was blowing a hurricane,  and waves were breaking over the vessel.  The bad weather was experienced almost all the way to Sydney.


S.S Burrunbeet.


S.S. Lindus

32%2F382%2F16301423 (1)S.S. Lindus
Photo Ref: http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/node/927194

No comments :

Post a Comment