24 March 2017
Late yesterday afternoon I went around to Hole in the Wall and took a few pictures of the Atoll 2, a beautiful, 2 masted sailing boat, tucked in close to the shore seeking shelter from the southerly winds.
Moored near the Atoll 2 was the DMS navy support ship, Seahorse Horizon.
|Seahorse Horizon behind Hole in the Wall.|
|The Huskisson side of the bay was shrouded in thick mist almost obscuring the land , out of the mist appeared two largs ghost like shapes, hard to discern, but as they moved closer you could make out the distinctive shapes of two large navy ships.|
The ship in the foreground is the second of two Canberra-class landing helicopter dock (LHD) ships, HMAS Adelaide . The ship in the background is the Adelaide-class guided-missle Frigate HMAS Darwin.
|Very early this morning I took this photograph of HMAS Adelaide under lights near Hole in the Wall.|
23 March 2017
22 March 2017
January 1898 the luxury British yacht Sunbeam sailed into Jervis Bay with his Excellency and Lady Brassey and Colonel and Mrs. Bingham on board.
Tuesday 18th Jan - Early in the morning the Sunbeam was made ready to sail, at 8.40 a.m the Sunbeam with her sails spread cleared Jervis Bay Heads, the morning was dull and foggy as she steamed slowly into a fresh S.W wind.
The Sunbeam was a three-masted topsail-yard schooner, iron framed and with a teak skin. Lenght 159ft, beam 27.5 ft, weight 532 tons.
The name Sunbeam came from the nickname they had given to their daughter - Constantine Alberta Brassey - who had died in 1873 from scarlet fever
|REF: By Sidpickle [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons|
By Australian National Maritime Museum - http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=1464, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=29423480
By Sidpickle - Took photograph Hastings libraryPreviously published: From Annie Brassey's album c1887, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=29317815
16 March 2017
15 March 2017
I had already been to the museum a number of times, but couldn’t resist another visit last weekend, the volunteer staff are friendly and welcoming and all too ready to give you insight into the history of Eden and the famous, association between the local whalers and the Killer Whales. If your down that way be sure to call in and be amazed.
Living around the bay, you become accustomed to seeing all manner of vessels in the bay, from very large Navy ships to small fishing and sailing vessels. It's hard to imagine a time when you would have only seen the occasional wind-powered ship.
Navigator and explorer Captain James Cook first described Jervis Bay in his journals after passing in the HMS Endeavour in 1770, he wasn't able to enter the bay because of adverse winds but noted it's distinctive features.
21 years later in 1791 Lieutenant Richard Bowen, aboard the convict transport ship Atlantic, part of the Third Fleet, sailed into the bay and named it in honour of Admiral John Jervis, under whom he had served.
In 1841, On a calm, clear, star-filled night, the Tamar returned to the bay, she set anchor in what was then known as the North Harbour in about 5 fathoms of water, where she lay until morning. She proceeded at daylight to the north-western part of the bay near to the site of Jervis Town, where she landed some passengers. She then steered a course for Inner- Harbour where the township of South Huskisson was laid out, (present day Vincentia )
A new era had arrived.
9 March 2017
H.M.S Royal Arthur put into Jervis Bay on the morning of 13th December 1900, She was carrying the first Governer General of Australia, Lord Hopetoun who was on his way to Sydney. The Royal Arthur had made good time coming along the coast.
H.M.S Royal Arthur was the new flagship for the Australian station, replacing the Orlando. She was a first-class twin-screw cruiser of 7700 tons, and was built at Portsmouth. 340ft in length, and 60ft in beam, with a draught of 28ft 9 inches. Her indicated horse-power was 12,000 with forced draught, and 7500 with natural, giving a speed of 20 and 18 knots respectively, her coal accommodation was equal to 10.000 knots at 10 knots an hour. Her armament consisted of one 9inch 22 ton gun, twelve 6 inch quick firing guns, twelve 6-pounders, and seven machine guns, besides four Whitehead torpedo tubes.
She was a remarked improvement on the aging Orlando, both in regards to size and equipment.
Lord Hopetoun. Was a British aristocrat, politician and colonial administrator. He is best known for his brief and controversial tenure as the first Governor-General of Australia.
|Continue reading about the Orlando and it’s connection to Jervis Bay.|
8 March 2017
|Two small articles informing people of the state of the S.S Chimborazo after running headlong into Point Perpendicular on a foggy, calm morning in March 1878.|
Continue reading about this lucky escape from disaster.
7 March 2017
6 March 2017
1 March 2017
March 2nd 1964 – The official opening of Ulladulla Harbour extensions.
The original Harbour was a very dangerous place to enter or leave in adverse weather conditions, several ships and lives were lost on the bomboras on the north and south side of the harbour entrance while trying to enter the harbour.
To illustrate the point here is a dramatic photograph of the “S.S Belbowrie” being driven ashore inside the harbour in large seas which were pounding the coast in 1912.
The first breakwater saw the erection of a small steel lighthouse in 1873. The lighthouse was totally inadequate for shipping, situated so far inside the harbour behind the north and south headlands, and was moved to Wardens Head further south of the harbour.
Ulladulla’s trawler fishing fleet slowly developed, becoming one of the chief sources of fresh fish to Sydney, the growing trawler presence meant something had to be done to improve trawler and boating safety.
In 1960 the decision was made to extend both breakwaters, extensive testing was carried out by model testing at the Public Works Department's Manly hydraulics laboratory.
|Continue reading about Warden Head Lighthouse.|