HOME OF THE LADY DENMAN - Local history isn't always about the big story - the everyday story of life in the early development of the region can be a fascinating, entertaining and educational journey.

14 August 2017

old time notes

imageNorth Huskisson Wharf.

This small article which appeared in the Nowra Leader,  September 22, 1911  describes South Huskisson as a thriving small coastal town.  It mentions the large Dent family,   the shipbuilding and timber industry, as well as some of the people involved.

"It is now over 40 years or it may be 45 years since the late Mr James Dent, senr., started the ship building at North  Huskisson. That spot then was a busy centre. Combined with the shipbuilding carried on by Mr Dent, there was a large timber trade, logs in the round were shipped to Sydney.  This particular branch employed a great many men, and many bullock teams were used.  In connection with the various branches of this work, there were trusted men placed over each branch.  
As well as we can remember Mr Longfield was general manager.  Mr Peak took a part in supervising matters.

Mr Dent took an active part in all matters pertaining to the business.  Messrs.' James, since deceased, George and William who were then on the verge of manhood;  Fred, Harry, and Joe were boys.  Life then was all sunshine.  The traveller to Huskisson to-day cannot imagine it was such a busy centre at that period.

"Poor Old Ned Gather'em -up'' as he was generally called,  we suppose he was so called on account of gathering up the tools and other things of general use that caused the appropriate name to be given him.  'Old Ned" was in his glory when there was a launch on, he has long since been gathered to the land of his Fathers.   He with many others, roamed over that timbered locality which induced the
axeman and teamster to haul many of its enormous trees.   60 years ago or perhaps a little less than that there was not a habitation at the Currambene.  Mr Dent, the senior, was the first to build there.  The only house between Nowra and Jervis Bay, as the road wended then, was at Woollamia.  Mr Dawson had a home at Erowal, now the property of Mr P. Kean.  There were one or two houses at Jervis Bay,  but were on the decay.  Mr John Guihan, known then as "Kerry Jack," occupied one of those houses near the fresh water creek which empties into the Bay.

The Elyard family then had a cattle station at Jervis Bay, and "Jack"  was the stock-keeper; he went once a fortnight to Brundee for his rations.  It was he who first saw the wine laden ship "Juniper" wrecked south of the bay.

This part of the article describes South Huskisson (Present day Vinventia).
Prior to the time, we are writing about there were three hotels in Jervis Bay, also a blacksmith shop, wheelwright shop a wool store and wharf.  The old pine-tree is the only mark left today to remind of the long past and almost forgotten period.  The Bay now has its hotel and store, run by Messrs. Cambourne and Paul respectively.

imageTimber vessels at Huskisson Wharf, 1903

Advertising which appeared in the same newspaper.



No comments :

Post a Comment