.

.
HOME OF THE LADY DENMAN - Local history isn't always about the big story - the everyday story of life in the early development of the region can be a fascinating, entertaining and educational journey.

6 April 2014

Mynora wrecked - on this day – April 6th 1864

newspaper-article-heading 





The new wooden paddle steam ship the Mynora
set off from Moruya on Tuesday the 5th of April at 6pm.
She was made for the Clyde, Moruya and Wollongong trade, on this day she was steaming along the coast south of Jervis bay in heavy fog. Carrying crew and passengers that included 9 children, two ladies, two natives from India and one Chinaman, In what must have been a terrifying shock,the Mynora struck a small reef off St Georges Head.
The master Captain Barter backed off the reef but was making water very fast. The Captain fought to keep her afloat but to save the lives of all on board the Master drove her on shore at a small beach 3 miles north of the reef, now known as Steamers Beach, where she became a total wreck.
While the boat was lost, all of the passengers and crew on the Mynora were saved.
steamers-beach






Looking south across the beautiful Steamers Beach where the Mynora was wrecked 150 year earlier.

Overland walk.

bw-pic-1The women and children walked overland 5 miles to the Cape St George Lighthouse where they were kindly received and treated by Superintendant Mr Lee.


The rest of the crew stayed with the ship and saved a portion of the cargo.

When news of the disaster reached Greenwell point, Captain Sullivan, being there, started on the following morning to the scene of the disaster, and took off the male passages, then proceeded to the lighthouse station, Jervis Bay, where she took off the females, and left again for Sydney.

This was the second loss in a few months for the Illawarra Steamship Company,  unfortunately for the owners the Mynora was uninsured.

map


















Ship Details.

Mynora name -  (the native name of the township on the Moruya River)
117 ton wooden paddle steamer
120ft x 17ft x 31ft deep
Built at Pyrmont in 1863 for the Illawarra Steam Navigation Company
who serviced the South Coast Trade from 1858 to the early 1950s.
By 1864 the company was operating a fleet of at least four ships

REF:
http://trove.nla.gov.au


Google Earth

No comments :

Post a Comment